Friday, November 23, 2012

Vegan...ish

The tummy saga continues, and I'm about to embark on a new digestive adventure - yay! 

With a lifetime of "tummy troubles", finally diagnosed a few years ago as "IBS" (not at all helpful), there have been lots of adventures and experiments. But my fingers are crossed, hopeful that this will be the key.


For the past several months, I've been under the care of a naturopath recommended by two girlfriends. I'm just wrapping up a nine-week course of medicine and will soon completely cut cow dairy and sesame seeds from my diet - for at least three months, maybe forever.

At first, I was upset to hear that my beloved cheese might be what's causing my problems. BUT... I've really come around. I've had weeks to wrap my head around it, and I think I'm ready!

You know when someone's in a bad job situation and really should quit but won't/can't pull the trigger. And then they get laid off and it's a true blessing, essentially making the decision for them when they couldn't. Anyway... that's sorta how I feel about this. 


(source

For many years, I've felt drawn to drop dairy. I don't like how animals are treated in the mass dairy industry, but I haven't been ready to give up cheese. My love of eating cheese and other milky goodness was more important than those poor cows. The desire was there, but I wasn't willing to pull the trigger. Now someone else has made the decision so I don't have to. Nice.


But first, there will be some indulging. I mean, this could be the very last time I get to eat cream cheese frosting, pizza, broccoli-cheddar soup and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

If you have any amazing vegan/ovo-vegetarian recipes, blogs or restaurant recommendations, send 'em my way! :)

2 comments:

  1. Liz, I am sorry about your sore tummy! I know the feeling since I spent many years with ulserated colitus before have a conplete colectomy in 1967. I hope the new regime helps. Lisa McMinn's daughter, Sarah, is a trained chef who is vegan and developes wonderful sounding recipes all the time. Her blog is The Sweet life. I'm sorry I don't know how to give you links, but you can find it. Blessings, Marcile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marcile! I'll definitely bookmark that blog and check out her recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete