Thursday, March 8, 2012

Muffin Wednesday: Fail

I'm so sorry Abbie... but this is not your new muffin recipe :(

Abbie has a very limited diet and asked if I could make some muffins to suit her special needs: gluten free, yeast free, dairy free, soy free, egg free and sugar free.

I thought I had an adaptable recipe, but it didn't work. Sorry to get your hopes up, friend!Several times I've made these Apple-Cinnamon Lentil Muffins with great success. The recipe uses no dairy, little flour and lentil puree instead of egg. So I used my Magic Bullet to grind oats into oat flour to sub for the 1 cup wheat flour. And I subbed applesauce for the 3/4 cup sugar.

Fifteen minutes later, they came out looking like little turds (though I was expecting some texture/rising issues). Unfortunately, they kinda tasted like turds, too.

My brave students tried the turd muffins, and Diana said she actually liked them (she said she doesn't like really sugary things). The rest of us took a bite or two and tossed them in the trash. Fail.

They weren't at all sweet, and without the sugar, you could actually taste the lentils. That wasn't so pleasant.

Sometimes I don't hit it out of the park with my experimental Muffin Wednesday recipes, but I don't think I've ever had one that really wasn't edible. Oh well :)

2 comments: