Saturday, January 26, 2013

Peak mileage!

With just two weeks until my next half marathon, it was time to run 11 miles this morning!

I got up early, did some stuff around home, then hit the pavement about 10:30 a.m., ready to do 11. I started slow, sped up a bit and then fell into a rhythm... a fast rhythm (fast for me... running is all relative)!
The weather was excellent - low 40s and mostly cloudy, a bit windy and just a few sprinkles. (Looking at the forecast, I was braced for a very wet run)

I hit 11 miles and was still almost a mile from home. I walked a couple blocks, but instead of walking the whole way home, I decided to weave around the neighborhood a bit and up my mileage. Ended up at 12.36 miles in 1:58 - a 9:33 average!!!!!!!!!
My current half-marathon PR is a 10:18 average - so that's huge! My race goal has been a 10-minute average :)

I was pushing but still comfortable - keeping my heart rate and breathing under control. And I feel great! Tired, but great. My calves are yelling at me, but that's about it. 

Next week was supposed to be 12 miles. But since I went long today, I think I'll maybe run 10 next weekend at a slower pace and call it good.

I feel so ready for this race! Unfortunately, the Heart Breaker has a big hill (~200 feet) between miles 3 and 4, so I'm not sure a new PR is coming this time. I'll give it a try, but that hill could take me down :)

Week 9 training recap:
Sunday: 3.12 miles, walked around DC
Monday: walked miles and miles and miles around DC
Tuesday: Rest Day - traveling
Wednesday: spin class
Thursday: Rest Day - exhausted!
Friday: 4.05 miles
Saturday: 12.36 miles
Week 9 Total: 19.53 miles

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment