Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Camping with the fam

Aw... holiday weekends (and the short weeks that follow!). It doesn't get much better.

I squeezed in a quick workout after work Friday before hitting the road with Mom and Eryn.

Brad was on his way to climb in Northern California, and Dad was already down at Fort Stevens setting up our campsite.

Dad called while we were en route and asked if we wanted to meet at Mo's in Cannon Beach for some grub. Because we hit no traffic, we decided there was plenty of time to eat and get to camp in time to set up before dark.
The McKee ladies:
It was gorgeous out there:
After consuming chowder, shrimp salads and crab sandwiches, we made our way up the coast to Fort Stevens State Park.

I immediately stepped in dog poo while setting up my tent. I strongly dislike dogs - and irresponsible dog owners :(

We settled in around the campfire, with citronella and bug spray to ward off the giant, though not-too-potent, mosquitoes. Eventually, I turned in and slept like a baby.

In researching fun things to do with our weekend, we discovered that Long Beach has a Memorial Day garage sale... like the entire peninsula! So we drove across the bridge into Washington and immediately saw sign after sign after sign announcing sales. 
We stopped at many, and we all got some treasures. I scored a brand-new Vera Bradley bag (still sporting its original $84 tags) for $5! Even if it's a knock off, it was only $5 :) And at a church sale, we filled a grocery bag with odds and ends and then pooled our money to cover the $3 bag fee.
Dad was in heaven :)

On the way back to Oregon, we swung through Fort Columbia State Park.
It was really neat, and had we had more time, we would have paid the fee and gotten out to explore.
Before our hot dog dinner, Mom and Dad walked and Eryn and I ran, putting in 4.25 miles to the beach and around some camp trails. It was a great run in the mild, beachy air.
Sunday, we lazed around Sunday morning, which meant a lot of reading this around the fire:
Then we drove to Fort Clatsop to hike the 6.3-mile Fort to Sea Trail.
We celebrated with dipped soft serve:
After some dinner, I had an uneventful drive back to town. The fam stayed until Monday, but I felt the call of my cat and my house.

Even with a camping trip, I still managed a day of finishing my book, chores and a workout, all before Brad returned from climbing. We celebrated his homecoming with buy-one-get-one burritos at Qdoba.

I love a holiday weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment